Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 26: Sukhothai -> Ayutthaya

-Woke up early for a quick breakfast and early morning check-out before heading into old Sukhothai. The nice thing about old Sukhothai is that everything is within biking distance of each other. We rented bikes for 30 baht each ($1) and then could bike around the whole park.

-There were 3 main zones to the park. The inner zone was the biggest with some gorgeous ruins. Of course Marco got bored so we decided a time to meet then went our separate ways (that way he could rush through things and I could take my time to enjoy them). The only problem was he went off with the map where all the important things were marked, so I was left to guess which ones they were.

-I went out to check out zone 3. Zone 3 was a little more out of the way. I thought I was going the wrong way for quite a while. All I was seeing was rice paddies and cows. I even saw a scorpion in the middle of the road. I didn't dare stop and take a picture. While biking along the last part I ran into Marco who decided to join me for the rest of the journey.

-In Zone 2 we took a sneaky way into the temple so we didn't have to pay the entrance fee. I could feel Buddha's eyes judging me once we were in there, may not have been the best idea. Marco had already done this part of the old city, so we biked around a little before heading back to our hostel.

-Once back we had some lunch and chatted with a Dutch girl we met on the way back. Then we checked out and headed to the small bus station to start our 6 hour journey to Ayutthaya. Surprisingly the bus was full, that wasn't the case in Malaysia. The buses were also a lot nicer there. The bus stopped at several different places so we had to be on our toes. Once we finally got to Ayutthaya we were dropped at this tiny stop by the side of the highway. Luckily there was one taxi there, unluckily he charged an exorbitant 200 baht to get to our hostel.

-Our hostel in Ayutthaya was called 'Grandparents Home,' which we both found quite funny. It was nice enough though and we settled into our little room. I had heard the night market in Ayutthaya was really good, but when we finally found it it was very disappointing. We were planning on eating there but soon changed our minds. We then tried to find a street the hostel staff had recommended for eating but that proved to be difficult. Eventually we settled for some western food at a pizza place about 20 minutes from the hostel. Of course when we left it started pouring with rain and the tuk tuk we saw wanted an exorbitant $2 to drive 2 minutes (thats relatively a lot here). I refused so we walked home in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment