Friday, September 14, 2012

Chinese Student Names

So today and yesterday in my university classes I gathered a list of the students who had English names and who did not. Next week I'm planning on bringing in some English names for the students without them. I figured since I'm teaching English class the students should have English names. They loved listening to me trying to read their Chinese names aloud. I was hoping that they would see how I was willing to make mistakes and might take a leaf out of my book...

Anyway, I wanted to share some of the names of the students because they are hilarious. My all time favorite was a girl who said her English name was Dike. I did not know how to explain that one so just let it slide. Another girl said her name was Evil. Yes, Evil. I asked her if she knew what it meant. She did, but still didn't want to change it. Ok... Another girl named herself Steven. I told her that was my Dad's name. She still wanted it. Some other funny names included Lucifer, Peter Pan, Dark, Well, Nalsaky, Anger, Gerunisky, Zero, Leaf, Spark, Mimo, Queen, Jox, Violin, Livy, Ice, Vivid, and Dior. I couldn't even make these names up if I wanted to.

Some students would choose names and spell them super weird. Alysa- apparently not with two 's's. Winni - with no 'e.' Lyra- pronounced Laura. Of course i'm wrong when I try and correct the names. It's not like I was raised speaking English or anything.

One kid was just sleeping during the whole class and didn't even bother to wake up when I called him name. I named him Sleepy in retaliation. I thought that was quite fitting. His friends thought it was hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment