Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Teaching Bill and 弟子规

Yesterday I started teaching a 9-year-old boy named Bill. Actually I wouldn't really call it teaching since Bill's English is really good. If anything its just an opportunity for him to speak some English since the lessons at school are far too easy for him. Bill is hilarious. He is super chatty and gets excited about the most random things. One of the first questions he asked me was if I smoke. For those of you who don't know the Chinese are really big on smoking. When I said I didn't he started cheering and going 'oh wow!' When I was showing him pictures of friends and family he asked if Marco smoked, I also said no to an applause and 'oh good! So good!'

I spent our hour long chat just showing him some pictures and talking to him about school and such. He spent about 15 minutes lecturing me on how I should call someone when I take a taxi by myself because then the driver can't hurt me. He also started telling me about the equivalent of the Chinese mafia, who apparently where all black and use mufflers on their guns. I think Bill's parents must be extremely concerned for his safety. He's not allowed to eat the school lunches because it might not be safe so he goes home everyday. He's also not allowed to go on most of the rides in the park nearby (he has been on bumper cars and the raging river ride). On top of all these things he's told me (and there are more) he also has a bodyguard who goes with him everywhere. His parents own the hotel next door so I'm pretty sure they're loaded, but it does seem a little excessive.

Bill also loves to take pictures on my computer. His father has a mac so he knows about Photobooth. We took a few today which I thought were funny so I'll share them.

Thermal is Bill's favorite setting because it makes us look like zombies:

In other news I have started to read the Chinese book 弟子规, or DiZiGui/TiTzuKui. It essentially translates to Standards for Being a Good Pupil and Child. One of the teachers here gave it to me and apparently all Chinese students read it in elementary school. It's essentially a guideline on how to live morally and how to be a good person based on Confucius' teachings. Here's the Wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ti_Tzu_Kui.

Even though there is a translation of the book there I'm going to try translate it myself on this blog. Essentially there's the actual text and then a description of what it means, which I'll translate.

总叙
弟子规圣人训
首孝悌次谨信
泛爱众而亲仁
有余力则学文

"'Dizi' is essentially a student. 'Gui' is standards. "DiZiGui" is based on the teachings of Confucius and helps organize a students standards for living. It stipulates the teachings of six major texts and one minor one. First, in daily life, one should show obedience to his/her parents and affectionately love his/her brothers and sisters. Secondly in daily life, be careful in your behavior. Give your words credit.

One should get along compassionately with everyone, should love all living creatures, be concerned about the common people, and be close to and learn from benevolent and moral people. These are all very important matters. If one still has remaining time and energy then he/she should study the six subjects of ancient Chinese education (rites, music, archery, chariot riding, arithmetic and reading and writing) and other beneficial learnings. "

So there is my rough translation of the explanation of the introduction to DiZiGui (if that makes any sense). More to come in the future hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment