Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Di Zi Gui Chapter 1: 入则孝

Here is chapter one of the translation.

入则孝

This is the first major text for students. "" is at the home. "" is good deeds for your parents, so at the home you should do good deeds for your parents. For good deeds, one is the mind, the other is serving. Mind means in your heart you should not forget that your parents bring you up in kindness and grace, serving is we should look after our parents. If we are able to do these things, then we are able to do good deeds for our parents, this is the fundamental thing we should do. It is the first of many kinds of good deeds. 

父母呼应勿缓
父母命行勿懒
When your parents call you, you should answer in a timely manner; when your parents ask you to do something, you should immediately do it, you shouldn't delay and be lazy.

父母教须敬听
父母责须顺承
You should be respectful and listen attentively to your parents teachings; when your parents scold you, you should obey and accept it.

冬则温夏则凊
晨则省昏则定
Children should look after their parents, in the winter they should keep their parents warm, in the summer they should keep them cool. In the morning they should pay respects to their parents and wish them good health. In the evenings they should spread out a quilt for their parents and serve them.

出必告返必面
居有常业无变
When you leave you should tell your parents, and also tell them when you return, to avoid your parents being concerned about you. You should work hard for an occupation and ambition. You should not be rash.

事虽小勿擅为
苟擅为子道亏
Even in small matters, you should not disobey your parents without permission. If you do as you please and act on your own, you will not have been a dutiful child.

物虽小勿私藏
苟私藏亲心伤
Even with small things, you shouldn't keep them private. If these private things are discovered your parents will be extremely angry and sad.

亲所好力为具
亲所恶谨为去
I will try my hardest to please my parents in everything they want. I will be careful not to displease my parents.

身有伤贻亲忧
德有伤贻亲羞
If my health is bad or I hurt my body my parents will be worried and anxious. If I behave badly my parents will feel ashamed and lose face.

亲爱我孝何难
亲憎我孝方贤
With loving parents it is not hard to be obedient and dutiful. Without loving parents, I should still be dutiful, it is highly commendable!

亲有过谏使更
怡吾色柔吾声
If my parents make a mistake, children should patiently give them advice to change. My advice should be kind and my tone should be gentle.

谏不入悦复谏
号泣随挞无谏
If my parents are not willing to listen to my advice, I must wait until they are in the right frame of mind to advise them. If they still don't listen, and I weep and beg, even if I am scolded, I must do so without complaint.

亲有疾药先尝
昼夜侍不离床
If my parents are sick, I must try the medicine first to see if it is too hot or bitter. I also must look after my parents day and night, I cannot leave them.

丧三年尝悲咽
居处变酒肉绝
When my parents pass away, I should mourn for three years, be dutiful, and try not to cry when they are mentioned. I will look at the sad memories of my parents with kindness. I will make every effort to avoid alcohol and lust and I will keep my house simple.

丧尽礼祭尽诚
事死者如事生
The funeral will be according to moral standards, I will serve with the deepest sincerity and sorrow. I will serve my deceased parents as if they were still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment