Sunday, September 30, 2012

Coffee with MK

On Sunday Sarah and I went to meet one of my university students, MK, for coffee. I thought it would be a little weird meeting a student outside of the classroom but apparently thats not considered weird here. MK and I arranged this all over QQ (the Chinese equivalent of Facebook) so I felt very Chinese indeed.

We met MK at the university and walked quite a while to this little coffee shop. Sarah and I both love our coffee so were super excited that this was basically a real coffee shop. It had music playing, games, and actual coffee drinks. I ordered an iced caramel macchiato. It was good, pretty sweet, but yummy. Of course, there were some major differences when compared to a US coffee shop. They somehow made the drinks behind this tiny counter. I have no idea how they had enough space there to keep all the ingredients. There was also a collection of Western alcohol for some reason. Don't really know what that was doing in a coffee shop.

Sarah and MK:

On the way to the coffee shop:


The lady was super nice and gave us some free moon cake. I've received so many moon cakes from students in the past days. Some of them are pretty good, the others are just... not. Luckily the ones the lady gave us were good, so I didn't have to pretend to like them. MK also bought us some 'char' since Sarah hadn't tried it before. 'Chuar' is basically a skewer with a really good piece of fat in the middle.

We played the 'Funny Game' where you basically stab plastic swords into a barrel until this pirate shoots out. It was pretty alarming the first time that happened. We talked a little but MK's English is pretty limited and so is my Chinese. After drinking our coffee MK took us to this stationary store since Sarah wanted to find some postcards to brighten up her room. I finally bought a keychain for the key I keep losing.

Playing the crazy pirate game:

Hanging out with MK was fun and unexpected! He said he'll help us buy a cell phone later on in the week so I hope so. He's a Qiqihar native so knows all the places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment