Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Watching a University Class

-So today another foreign teacher Mervin, an American from Florida, let me come with him to Qiqihar University to watch one of his lessons. It was an experience to say the least.

-The classes have about sixty students, all with a different range of language abilities. These students are not English majors but are required to take the classes so some of them have no motivation to learn. Beforehand Mervin had no clue if there was a textbook and had no roster for the class. It just isn't provided here. We walked into the class and everyone applauded. It was the strangest thing. People were taking photos, they were giggling to one another.

-Mervin opened up by allowing the class to ask him questions. As anyone who has been to China may know, the Chinese tend to ask very personal questions, and it is not seen as rude here. He was asked how much money he made and had to explain the cultural differences that question touched on. He was asked why he wasn't married, why was he divorced, why does he not have any kids? He was also asked for his telephone number, which he generously wrote down on the board for everyone. Someone asked why I was there so Mervin asked me to introduce myself. I said hello and received a huge round of applause. For a hello.

These are some other strange things that happened;
-During the break one of the boys came over with a note saying I was very beautiful and he would like my phone number. I had to explain that I didn't have one.
-I also had to explain that to the two groups of girls that came over to talk to me. They were all asking if we could be friends. I was like sure! But I don't really know what their concept of friends is...
-One girl said she was going to come to my class tomorrow, I tried warning her how much of a mess its going to be. She took a photo of my schedule though so we'll see if she shows up. Other girls gave me their phone numbers telling me to call them if I needed help with anything.
-The boy came back over asking if we could be friends (and sitting a little too close to my personal bubble- something else that doesn't exist in China), the girl behind me said he was a playboy. I explained I had a boyfriend and he said I broke his heart. I didn't know you could do that within two minutes of meeting each other.
-One boy cleaned off my desk for me because the room is covered in chalk dust. It gets everywhere! I came back from the school to find it on my coat, pants, bag etc. Going to have to get used to that. I couldn't tell you the last time they dusted or swept in that room.
-Other people were sneaking pictures of me all class. It was really funny actually. Only one girl had the nerve to ask me for a picture at the end of class.

-So all this happened in Mervin's two hour class, who knows what will happen in mine! I have three classes tomorrow and absolutely no clue about the details. I'm planning to follow a structure similar to Mervin's so hopefully it will all work out! I really have nothing to lose if not. I really wish there were speakers or power points or something in the room though. The students are most interested in learning about US culture and I feel like music, pictures, and short videos would add so much to the class. Guess I'm going to have to do without!

-After class Mervin and I walked back to Aoqi (where we live) so I could find my way tomorrow. He was then generous enough to walk me to the Walmart in Qiqihar- which does exist! I bought a Chinese book hoping to keep my Chinese studying going. Its been an interesting day. I'm nervous and excited about teaching tomorrow. I still can't believe that the first class I have ever taught in my life is going to have 60 Chinese students, about the same age as me, for two hours and with no agenda. What have I got myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment