Monday, October 18, 2010

Rainy Day

Woke up to a cold and drizzly Beijing. I was not ready for the week to start so soon! I went to Kouyu class and was completely exhausted. I couldn't even make it to Tingli class, instead I came home and slept for 2.5 hours. I think my body may still be recovering from lovely mono. I finally did wake up and spent the rest of the day doing work and catching up on things. I had to start a new journal again because I finished the second one here!

At 5pm we went and grabbed some 蔬菜包子 for dinner. They're really garlicy, the best. We then went to our Intercultural Communications class. You could see your breath, it was that cold!

We had to read this really interesting article on American culture. It's called "The Values Americans Live By" written by Robert Kohls. Definitely check it out if you have a chance. He works for the Washington International Center, helping introduce foreigners to life in the U.S. Because of that, he focuses on the U.S. from an outsider standpoint. It was an interesting change to the usual ethnocentric views we read about. We spent the class discussing the thirteen values Kohls points out. I really enjoyed it, don't know if anyone else did?

Luckily the very loud, talkative student wasn't there, so we actually got out on time! It was raining and miserable outside. Of course I don't have any waterproof shoes with me, only my UGG's. Oh well, we power walked back and were so happy to be back in the dorm (even if they don't turn the heat on until November 15th- that's ages from now!). I skyped, studied and procrastinated, the usual.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article. I've never before thought about our own "American" values, especially in comparison to other cultures. That's for sure one reason studying and living abroad offers such a different experience - a literal and figurative change of pace - that's important to developing cultural awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John and I just read it . . . fascinating! It is interesting to read it from the perspective of a foreigner and then as an American.
    We miss you Ulysis!!!!

    ReplyDelete