Saturday, October 30, 2010

Temple of Heaven and Halloween

So in the morning our program took us to the Temple of Heaven. I really liked it, despite how touristy it was. There were three main sections to the temple. It was so strange because at the last part I was completely having deja-vu from when I came when I was 11.

Frank the tourguide:


By a very big door:

The main temple:

There were a lot of locals who were hanging out in the area. It was so adorable. This group of 20 or so elderly Chinese were all dancing to this techno song! They were all completely synchronized and it was the best thing ever! There was this little old lady doing it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone so cute. On the long corridor, heading to the East gate, tons of locals gathered to play cards, mahjong, etc. There were also tons of people playing the Chinese version of hackysack. Katie bought one so we had a big game in the parking lot while waiting for the bus.

The synchronized dancing (look at the tiny lady in sunglasses- she was adorable!):

The long corridor:

Some locals hanging out on the corridor:



The Chinese version of hackysack- loved this woman's outfit:

I spent the rest of the afternoon just resting, and around 6pm we went over to Korean BBQ- 48 kuai all you can drink and all you can eat. It's the one where you go get a bunch of raw meat and then just cook it right in front of you. I wore my big coat so I could smuggle out some baijiu to give to friends back in the U.S. - I wanted to get my money's worth! So after eating lots of food, we came back to the dorm to get changed for Halloween and all just hungout before we left for the night.

Katie, Mariel, me, Rachel and Heather:



We went to a big Halloween party in 798 - the art district of Beijing. It was held at this big factory- and was a really cool building. There were some crazy costumes- the three people were dressed as air stewardess', I thought they were women, but no, they were men. We didn't stay too long because everyone was getting pretty tired, but it was definitely a cool event to see!

The Factory:

No comments:

Post a Comment