Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday September 23rd: 北京京剧 (Beijing Opera)

-Slept in, picked up a card from Marco, and then went to Hanyu class. The past few days have been absolutely gorgeous. Blue skies, that cool, crisp air letting you know that fall is on it's way, a slight breeze. My favourite type of day.

- After class we went to get some yummy jianbings. They really are the best. At 1pm we went to meet our tutor at the 咖啡馆, but instead of doing work we went on a walk since it was such beautiful weather. We walked around the lake on campus and all the little parks. It was really interesting. There are two lakes on campus, lots of bridges, statues, and weeping willows and Gingko biloba - a tree with fan shaped leaves that I studied in France. I was so excited when I recognized it. So we strolled and talked, then went to rest before our class.

-Tingli class was the same old tingli, listening to super fast Chinese and guessing the answer. After class we ran to the dining hall and got food to go. We had to meet at 5:45pm to go to the Opera. I was antisocial on the bus ride there and read my book, The Secret History by Donna Tartt. I finished it though which was super exciting!

-The opera was interesting. We got fed nuts, watermelon, and jasmine tea. It was about the monkey king causing havoc in the dragon king's palace, and then in hell. Can't say I understood too much, luckily they had translations on the side. My favourite was "Little monkeys, bring me wine, lets enjoy it together!" I did understand that the monkey got very drunk. There wasn't much singing, but from what I've heard that's a good thing. It tends to be on the screechy side. The costumes were awesome, and the makeup was insane, it looked like everyone had really bad botox.

No comments:

Post a Comment