Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday September 8th: Class Schedule, Tutors, and Carrefour

-At 9am this morning we walked over to the Russian Building. This time they had a very confusing list of class schedules placed on the boards. Pretty much everyone swarms around the boards and you just kind of have to push your way in to find your name. Once you find your name, and corresponding class number (6 for me), you then look at the other side of the board to find out times, teachers, location, etc. I have class at 8am EVERYDAY! Noooooooooooo. Ah oh well. And because I'm pre-intermediate I also have a listening class (higher levels- meaning the rest of my program- don't have that). Luckily Katie is in all my classes, surprise! Rachel wasn't though but they had forgotten to switch her class, so she had to figure that out.

-After getting mad at everyone for complaining about two 8am classes a week, we all walked back to the dorm. I wrote out my schedule, skyped with Faja, and then skyped with Marco.

-At 11:30am we met our tutors. Katie and I even have the same tutor haha. Our friend Heather had our tutor during her summer program here, she wasn't a big fan. Oh well. Our tutor took us on a campus tour. It basically was walking a little, her babbling away in Chinese, me nodding at the two or three words I understood, then off walking again.

-A whole bunch of us went to the very busy dining hall for lunch. Had the same thing as yesterday- it's so good! Met someone who knew Marco, quite weird.

-We returned to the dorm briefly then another group of us walked over to the gym. Luckily the guy across the hall came with us and his Chinese is practically fluent. We managed to bargain down the price to join for 3 months. The gym is super nice. So so nice. Plus they have spinning and yoga classes. Hopefully since Katie and Rachel also joined I'll actually go! Plus it has wireless and each treadmill and elliptical has a TV. I'm going to try and plan my gym time around the news so I can watch the news and work out, how productive!

-After returning home and lazing around for a bit, a bunch of us then took the subway to Carrefour, a big French department store here. We stocked up on some last minute necessities (ie. a plate, cutlery, a cup, drying rack, case of water, peanut butter, instant noodles, etc.). I also bought a book of children's tales in Chinese, hopefully I'll have some time to read it! We had to take a cab back because we had so much stuff.

-A few of my friends tried their own instant noodles and did not like them, so we decided to go to the dining hall for dinner. We decided to try jiaozi tonight. It's basically like the dumplings we're used to in the U.S. but not fried. A new British boy that Steffan is friends with came along also.

-We ran to the WuMei after to buy a notebook for class. Probably a good thing to have. They don't have notecards here though! I don't know what I'm going to do without them! Hopefully I will come up with a solution soon. We also discovered that there had been a slight schedule change, so now I only have class 4 times a week at 8am!! Thursday's off from the unearthly wake-up hour. This was very exciting news.

-For the past 90 minutes Katie and I have been going over the first text in our textbook. We want to make a good impression on our first day of class! Can't believe it starts tomorrow! I'm excited but very nervous! I have Hanyu (the reading class) and Tingyu (the listening class). I'll let you know how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment