Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tuesday Sept 7th: Class Registration

-Class registration here is so different! All of the international students went over to the Russian Building. They have a huge board outside covered in lists of people's names. You have to find your name and it tells you which class you were placed into. I was placed into 3 for both spoken chinese and reading. It's between beginner and intermediate, fine with me!

-After writing down your classes, in my case on my hand, you walk over and look at the textbook you would be using to see if it seems appropriate. Katie and Rachel moved up to the level I was placed at luckily. You then register, are given a piece of paper, have to go to a classroom in the building where you receive your textbooks. Quite a different process, I can't even imagine it at Tufts! Tomorrow morning we find out our schedule, I heard all the classes start around 8am...

-After napping a little a bunch of us went to the dining hall for an early lunch. Had this garlic, egg flatbread thingy, and this kind of pita filled with some meat, garlic, and onions. Pretty good, my breath reeks though.

-Came back and lazily napped but we were interrupted by a phone call to our room. The person on the other line only spoke Chinese and we had noooo clue what she was saying. I tried to find some of our neighbours, they're basically fluent, no fair. Eventually I said I would come meet them, I thought they were the lobby people. No they weren't, so we don't really know what that was about? Also the maids came in here to clean. It's really nice, they make our beds, occasionally change our sheets, give us new towels, mop the floor, and give us hot water every morning. Unfortunately she told me we can't stick things on the wall! So we have to take our beautiful Laos paintings down! I think that's what she said anyway. She took out a sheet and pointed at a bunch of characters I didn't know.

-And now I just woke up! Super lazy afternoon. We were going to rent a minifridge but they're all out. We were also going to go and join the gym, but now we might just wait till tomorrow. So lazy. I did just eat a bunch of peanut butter and white rabbits though!

No comments:

Post a Comment